Ottawa Valley Ultimate Horse is a Club that runs Cowboy Obstacle Races in the Ottawa Valley.
A series of exciting and challenging obstacles make for an entertaining ride for both participants and the crowd, as riders race the clock in an attempt to bring home the quickest time, the most points and the prizes!
What are Cowboy Obstacle Races?
This sport is known by many names, 'Extreme Trail', 'Ultimate Trail Challenge' and even 'Cowboy Race'. It is a unique event that encourages you and your horse to develop a partnership based on trust and measures your horsemanship skills.
These events will allow you the opportunity to set goals, measure your progress, gain confidence and expose your horse to new and challenging things while competing.
This sport is about having fun, building confidence, promoting good horsemanship and challenging you and your horse.
Some Obstacles that you may come across:
- Gate - opening, passing through and then closing the gate
- Crossing Obstacles - poles, logs, bridges, water, tarp, plywood
- Dragging Obstacles - tires, logs, sacs, pallets
- Loading - into a trailer
- Remove, Carry and Replace an Item - ie. Slickers, buckets of sand/water, ball, flag, saddle bags, toys
- Side pass - over or around objects
- Jump - jumps are constructed no taller than 2ft tall
- Mail box - retrieve an article out of the mail box
- Through - you may need to go through curtains, tunnels, strips of fabric or ribbon
- Natural Terrain - Brush, sticks, debris, mud, water sprinklers
- Mounting - may need to dismount and perform an obstacle from the ground
- Ground Tie
- Circles or straight lines - trot, lope, lead changes, slow, fast
- Smoke - campfire
- Loud noises or strange noises
- Mazes or tight sitting spaces
- Picking up horse's feet
All breeds of horses and all ages of riders are welcome
Whatever your reason for choosing to participate in this sport, exposing yourself and your horse to new experiences is a great way to build trust and have a great time!
We look forward to seeing you at our events, or even at our practice nights, where riders will have the opportunity to try out the obstacles that we use. Each ride makes you think, it's never the same. We have a lot of fun planned for 2017, please contact us at email@example.com or on facebook to learn more.